The cost of water damage caused by burst pipes and plumbing leaks can add up quickly. But you can take steps to prevent it through routine maintenance around your home.
How to Prevent Water Damage
Help keep major plumbing issues at bay following these helpful tips:
- Consider scheduling an annual plumbing inspection.
- Keep up with routine maintenance on your appliances. Consult the owner’s manuals for details.
- Learn how to shut off water if a pipe bursts.
- Protect pipes by insulating them in winter to prevent freezing.
- Allow faucets to drip overnight and open cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Be alert to rust-colored water, backed-up plumbing, musty smells, or stains on the walls or ceilings.
- Take note of any increases on your water bill. A sudden increase could indicate a problem.
Review Your Policy
Typical homeowners and renters policies do not cover water damage due to flooding. Do a routine check-up on your coverage with your agent so you are properly insured.
Report a Claim
If you have been affected by water damage and need assistance, First Baldwin Insurance is here to help guide you through the claims process. You can file a claim online or call 251-943-6677.